Over the years there have been 10 public houses in Haxey Parish, now however very few survive.
The Duke William – Haxey. The earliest licence recorded was in 1852. Large and well established the pub was, until very recently, a focal point for the Haxey Hood. At the time of writing the Duke William is still a functioning public house, however it only opens restricted hours and application has been made for demolition and the construction of houses on the site.
The George in Haxey was a public house operating in the 19th century. It was on Church Street opposite the Duke William. The earliest licence that we have found was in 1852. It became a private residence in 1868.
The Kings Arms earliest licence found was in 1852. In a prominent position on the junction between the Low Street and the main A168, beside the Butter Cross. This public house is still in the existence but its future hangs by a thread. It has only had a brief period of use during the last few years and is currently closed.
The Loco Haxey. Formerly a chemist shop and a wool shop it was taken over by Doncaster co-op. It later became dress shop and then a gardening and seed shop, a Children’s bookshop, finally a fish and chip shop. It was a general shop before becoming a pub in 1985. Now still intact but inactive its future is uncertain.
The Carpenters Arms in West Woodside is currently the only public house operating on normal hours. With the first reference to it in 1874 it appears little changed, outwardly, from these photographs of 100 years ago.
The Plough Low Burnham. Later called The Salutation opened in 1842 and closed in 1955. Over that time it had 21 publicans. Closing in 1955 it became a private house. Because the outbuildings caused an obstruction on the difficult bend at low Burnham it was demolished in 1999.
The Maltsters Arms sometime called The Providence was in Graizelound with the first reference to it in 1817. It ceased to be at pub in 1875 but it may have had a brief resurrection as beer house for a year in 1896.
The Railway Tavern – Graizelound has a first reference in 1872 this was later called The Railway Inn and finally Bland’s Tavern Inn. The building is currently derelict but it continued trading until the late 1980s as a Farm shop.
The Great Northern Hotel – Graizelound was immediately by the railway crossing south of Graizelound with the first reference to it is being in 1872. It was trading up until 1970 but is now a private house.
The Park Drain hotel West Woodside also known locally as the Klondike, is a strange large building standing out from the flat fields around, out of keeping with the local area. It was built in 1914 next to sidings on the rail line, when coal mines were expected to open in the surroundings. The original intent was to provide miners somewhere to spend their wages. However the war and drainage problems interrupted the development of the mine and the scheme was never pursued. The pub continued to trade until the 1990s but, after a long period being empty, it is now converted into offices.
The Sun beer house and two other beer houses had licences recorded in Haxey in 1877 at the same time Eastlound had a beer house called The Cross Keys